When I first starting running in October 2008, I knew the best way to stick with it was to start running with someone that would push me and challenge me to become a better runner...that someone was Ryan. Ryan and I had worked together at US Central and started running over our lunch hour. He was the one that told me to sign up for my first 5k- and told me that if anything would keep me motivated, signing up for my first race would be it. So I signed up for my first 5k- The Pilgrim Pacer in Shawnee Mission Park. Ryan also ran the race with me. Of course the weather conditions were terrible... temperatures in the high 20's, and it started sleeting right before we were getting ready to cross the start. Although the weather was terrible, the adrenaline that I felt walking up to that starting point was unreal. I was so excited to run in my first actual race. The running atmosphere was amazing- tons of people, music, and of course a row of Johnny's! :) Since I had only been running for about a month before my first 5k, I had two goals: finish and DON'T WALK! With the energy of the race, I ended up finishing in under 30 minutes and didn't walk one step, and had a smile on my face the entire rest of the day. After that first race, I knew there was no turning back.

Ryan convinced me to track my marathon experience via blog. I follow Ryan's blog at:

http://ryanslifeinkansascity.blogspot.com/2010/01/diary-of-ryans-weight-loss-journey.html