I decided to write an additional posting this week, because I have been talking to a few of my friends who have asked me for some running advice on what they should do first when starting to train for their first 5k. The advice that I always give first mirrors the advice that I received when I first started running, and that was go get a good pair of running shoes!

When I first started running, my friend Ryan told me to get professionally fitted for a good pair of running shoes, and although they were more expensive than most tennis shoes, it was the best investment that I made! I went to Gary Gribbles Running Sports, a local running store with multiple locations here in Kansas City and got fitted. They were very thorough with me and let me try on many different pairs that felt best for my flatter than flat (did I mention flat?)feet. The best shoe for me was the Adidas Supernova series which gave me enough support and width, but not too much support! Also, I found out after my first half marathon that it's best to go up at least a 1/2 size in your running shoes than your normal shoes. For me, I usually wear a 8 1/2 shoe, but I ended going up a full size to a 9 1/2 for my running shoes. My first pair of running shoes felt great for my shorter runs, but after finishing my first half marathon, the ONLY thing on my body that ached afterwards were my toenails! My feet swell the more miles I run, so going up a full size was the best feeling ever! I was able to keep my toenails in open-toed shoe condition thanks to going up a full size! :)

Since I have flat feet, I go through running shoes a lot faster than most runners. With the miles that I run every week, I average a new pair of shoes about every three months. Believe me, after you've been running for a while, you will know when it's time for a new pair... it will start to feel like you can feel the pavement through your shoes!!

I am super proud and excited for my friends who have made running their first 5k their 2010 new year's resolution! You have to start somewhere, and it's like I tell people, if I can do it, anyone can!

The picture in my post is a picture of my shoes (mine are the yellow and white pair in the middle).